- Wills, Estates & Trusts
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Corporate & Commercial
- Real Estate
Alison obtained her law degree from the University of Victoria in 1996. She was a partner and worked for 12 years with a large full-service national firm in Vancouver before moving to the Okanagan in 2007. There she worked for several years advising high net worth clients of a private bank before founding Entrust Lawyers LLP with one other lawyer.
Alison has worked for individuals, families and for public and private companies in a wide variety of sectors, including forestry, mining, construction, retail, transportation and public utilities. She has acted for various family-owned enterprises and has also served on charitable boards.
Alison was a co-editor and contributing author of the Annotated British Columbia Business Corporations Act, published by Canada Law Book. She has also authored papers for, and made presentations to, the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (CLE), the Canadian Bar Association, the Chartered Professional Accountants of BC, the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Federated Press and the Law Society’s Professional Legal Training Program. She has also lectured at both the University of Victoria and University of British Columbia law schools and she regularly teaches courses for Okanagan College’s Continuing Education Program.
Alison has been practicing for 20 years and works with individuals and both owner-managed and family businesses on a wide range of matters, such as:
basic estate and incapacity planning (wills, powers of attorneys and health care representation agreements)
complex estate plans involving tax-planned wills with multiple trusts, multiple wills, alter ego trusts, joint partner trusts, family trusts, deeds of gift, declarations of trust, life insurance trusts, and other advanced probate planning, and strategies to address potential future incapacity
tax-driven reorganizations such as estate freezes and other tax-deferred transfers of property
incorporations (including incorporations for professionals governed by regulatory bodies)
transactional corporate/commercial matters
Professional Appointments and Memberships
- Executive Committee, Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (2014 - 2016)
- Member, Advisory Committee to the Judicial Council of British Columbia (2013 to present)
- Chair, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Okanagan Chapter (2016 – present), and Executive Committee Member, STEP Vancouver Branch (2013 – present)
- Elected Representative (for Kelowna) and Provincial Council Member, Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (2012 to 2017)
- Co-Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Wills & Trusts Okanagan Section (2012 to 2015)
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association - Wills & Trusts, Taxation, Commercial & Real Estate and Elder Law Sections
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation, Kelowna Estate Planning Society, Kelowna Tax Discussion Group, Kelowna Bar Association